Sunday, September 10, 2006

Wear practically nothing to work, why the hell not?

Yesterday I read a small piece in the Canvas magazine of the weekend herald where people write in and a fashion designer and her daughter give them advice. This week a guy wrote in saying that some of the women in his office are dressing rather skantly and it's making him uncomfortable.

The response he got from the fashion designer was 'are you demented?'.

I'm guilty every day of wearing attire such as this to work. Stillettos, silk dresses, tiny skirts, tops...whatever. The guys in my office don't seem to mind despite the occasional comment.

I don't dress like a whore but i make a statement. You have to dress to impress right? The fact is guys do it as well. In my game, you need to make a statement, you need people to remember you. Thanks to the way I dress i'm 'the stylish as all hell smart chick who knows her stuff'.

I wear designer when I'm out of work and even though it's the office I'll wear designer when I'm there too, no matter how short the skirts are this season.

Why should anyone else care what I wear to the office as long as it's acceptable to my boss I don't give a damn if your goodie two shoes christian ass feels uncomfortable with what I'm wearing.

So does fashion help you get ahead?

In my office there is no dress code but me, the people directly under me and my boss all dress up for work despite other office staff wearing jeans and t-shirts. My department has the highest rate of promotion within the company, it's not the way we're dressing, it's a reflection on the kind of people we are.

I refuse to dress like the exclusive bretheren just because some guy feels uncomfortable. I believe it has a direct affect on my career.

So with summer coming I'm looking forward to wearing less and less to work.